Monday, April 14, 2008

The book that changed my negative mindset.....


So, about 6 months ago, I was being very negative. HA! Anyone who knows me has seen me go into these spirals of negativity that no one can seem to get me out of. I just think everything is going wrong and everyone is being mean to me. As my Grandmother says, "You get a case of the poor me." Well, I certainly do, but then she told me that it's OK to have them sometimes, but what you have to do is limit the amount of time you allow that kind of thinking. You can only have one day at a time of those horrid feelings of despair. So after we talked about that I heard from a friend about this book, "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale. So I stuck my head in and read away. Turns out it was probably one of the most influential books that I have come across. Now granted everyone in the world is way ahead of me because it was published in 1952 and millions upon millions of copies have been sold. The one thing I will say is that it has very strong religious content. I am Catholic, but certainly wouldn't consider myself devote. Putting that aside I read on (it's not preachy, more the basics of moral living). I swear it changed my WHOLE outlook on life. It changed the way I deal with my husband (he must be thrilled :-)). It helps me with patience with my kids or even the person that almost runs you over with her cart in the grocery store (you know we have all had that happen and it can get to you). I loved it so much that I ran out and bought "The Power of Confident Living." I will let you know what I think when I'm done. I just wanted to share this with you and if you ever are having a case of the "poor me," either read a story about someone with worse problems or better yet pick up this book and stay postive from within.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

i think its time i get this book...thanks for the push